Thursday, October 19, 2006

One of those I-just-want-to-run-home days

Wallowing at the bottom of the piti-est pit.
A mushy concoction of what-have-yous.
I guess sometimes I'm just making a big hooha over everything.
And other times, it's just my decision.
It's time to clean off the tears, wipe off the slate and start anew.

Something that dropped in my email today. An apt reminder:

“Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”
Ephesians 4:31-32

We’ve all experienced the unpleasantness of hurtful words or actions wrought against us by others. I know from personal experience how easy it can be to allow a root of bitterness to take hold of our heart, mind, and actions. In choosing bitterness we only add fuel to the fire, and we experience the pain and poison that bitterness brings.

Think of bitterness as a dangerous and powerful poison. Just like an acidic substance eating through the vessel in which it is contained, bitterness will eat though our joy, confidence, and testimony. When we allow bitterness to grow as a reaction to someone’s wrongdoing, we poison ourselves and spoil the testimony of God’s grace in our lives.
Bitterness is never a legitimate response for a child of God.



Well, it's not exactly bitterness over certain issues but I can't seem to place a finger on it either.
I just know that I have to give it up to God.
And not expect so much from you in return.



God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment